Volunteers do a lot of valuable work for the ACLU-DE.
As a general volunteer, you can help promote civil liberties through recruiting new members at fairs and events, assisting staff with important office work, and mobilizing support on decisive legislative issues.
Here’s how you can get involved:
IN THE OFFICE
- Our volunteers answer phones, file, manage mail, and organize and update our databases. When possible, we give volunteers substantive and interesting assignments.
- We need dedicated volunteers who can commit to working on specific days for a certain number of hours each week between 9am and 5pm.
EVENTS AND OUTREACH
- These volunteers table at community events across the state – at street fairs, festivals, parades and other events.
- They also help organize and staff events, such as our annual meeting and Kandler Dinner.
- For events, volunteers need to be available during evenings or weekends.
VOLUNTEERING FROM HOME
You can still help, even if you don’t come into the office. You can:
- Clip newspaper articles that mention civil liberties issues or the ACLU-DE from local newspapers.
- Write letters to the editor about civil liberties in local papers.
- Host house parties for your friends with an ACLU-DE speaker.
Overall, volunteering with the ACLU-DE will benefit us and provide you with a practical understanding of important constitutional issues, a greater awareness of resources that can be used to resolve problems, and opportunities to develop communication skills and to participate in multiple events.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the ACLU of Delaware.