The ACLU-DE works to protect and expand the civil liberties and civil rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Delaware Constitution.
Most ACLU-DE cases involve challenges to the government, rather than disputes with private organizations or individuals.
Our work is done by in-house legal counsel, highly respected volunteer attorneys who donate their time, talent and resources, and national ACLU attorneys with specialized expertise.
Our Legal Priorities
We focus on:
- Protecting personal freedoms, such as speech, religion, reproductive choice and personal privacy;
- Ensuring equality and fair treatment regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability;
- Police misconduct;
- The rights of students and young people.
The ACLU of Delaware generally files cases that affect the civil liberties or civil rights of large numbers of people. The basic questions we ask when reviewing a potential case are:
- Is this a significant civil liberties or civil rights issue?
- What effect will this case have on people in addition to our client?
- What are the chances of winning?
- Do we have the necessary resources to take this case?