Founded in 1961, The American Civil Liberties Union of Delaware (ACLU of DE) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that uses legal, legislative, and advocacy approaches to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional rights and freedoms, including justice reform, education equity, free speech, racial justice, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and more. The ACLU of Delaware is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights.
The ACLU of Delaware is one of this area’s premier public advocacy organizations. Based in Wilmington, Delaware, the ACLU of Delaware is led by a 21-member Board of Directors and a staff of ten. The Wilmington and broader Delaware communities are vibrant and collegial, and Delaware offers an excellent and affordable quality of life. Wilmington is also close to various attractions, including major cities such as New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC and the beach.
For more information, please visit www.aclu-de.org.
The ACLU of Delaware seeks a dynamic and experienced organizer to lead the organization’s Smart Justice program, seeking to reduce the state’s prison population and racial disparities in the justice system.
The Smart Justice Campaign Manager’s essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Recruiting and organizing new people who have been impacted by the criminal justice system to help reform Delaware’s criminal justice system and promote racial justice.
- Building a base of formerly incarcerated leaders by engaging them in on-going 1:1 meetings, building their skills, developing them as spokespeople, mobilizing them through targeted, strategic actions, and supporting their development as leaders.
- Developing and carrying out organizing tactics that support the ACLU’s legislative goals, including contacting state elected officials and building the ACLU’s power by increasing the number of core leaders who support our mission.
- Speaking at events and to small groups on behalf of the ACLU of Delaware.
- Training core leaders on how to share their stories with decision-makers, members of the press and audiences from across the political spectrum.
- Managing the Coalition for Smart Justice, including the county chapters in each of Delaware’s three counties.
- Supporting community mobilization efforts by collaborating with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU of Delaware staff to execute large and effective community actions.
- Completing and executing work plans.
- Managing simultaneous projects and shifting priorities.
- Advancing other ACLU of Delaware priorities through organizing.
- Promoting the values of equity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications;
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system, particularly people who have been justice-involved. Candidates with personal experiences of being incarcerated or otherwise impacted by the criminal/legal system are encouraged to apply.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, facilitation, training and communication skills.
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- A history of successful collaboration with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ages, ideological positions, sexual orientations, gender identities and religious views.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher;
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well-organized;
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily; listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others;
- Ideal candidate would have at least two years of organizing experience.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Smart Justice Campaign Manager Search” as the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed regularly and the position will remain open until filled. All interviews will be held remotely at this time.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.