ACLU of Delaware Communications Director Job Posting
Founded in 1961, The American Civil Liberties Union of Delaware (ACLU-DE) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that uses legal, legislative, and advocacy approaches to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional rights and freedoms, including justice reform, education equity, free speech, racial justice, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and more. The ACLU of Delaware is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights.
The ACLU of Delaware is one of this area’s premier public advocacy organizations. Based in Wilmington, Delaware, the ACLU of Delaware is led by a 21-member Board of Directors and a staff of eleven. While the ACLU of Delaware’s headquarters is located in Wilmington, remote work options are available and candidates may reside anywhere in the state of Delaware.
This is a permanent full-time position.
The ACLU of Delaware seeks a visionary and experienced leader to serve as Communications Director. The Communications Director is a member of the senior staff and reports to the Executive Director. They are responsible for curating and developing the ACLU of Delaware’s public image through a variety of communications strategies, including press releases, press conferences and media interviews; social and digital media; fundraising communications; special events; and printed publications such as newsletters, research reports, and advocacy materials.
The Communications Director’s essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establish and execute comprehensive communications plans for the ACLU of Delaware’s priority advocacy campaigns.
- Lead the vision for communications at the organization, and help instill the importance of public relations strategy to colleagues.
- Support the development of other staff members’ skills and comfort with being spokespeople.
- Develop relationships with members of the media as a trusted resource and partner.
- Curate and reinforce the ACLU-DE brand, both in graphic design and overall tone of the organization in public facing materials.
- Supervise other members of the communications department while fostering a culture of mentorship and growth.
- Collaborate with partners at National ACLU to promote communications and advocacy goals.
- Oversee the work of communications consultants, when implemented, to advance the goals of the organization.
- Publicize events held by the ACLU-DE and ensure that members and supporters feel included and cared for when attending organizational events.
- Promote the values of equity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Collaborate closely with other programmatic departments of the ACLU-DE, specifically with the:
- Policy and Advocacy Department by working with advocacy staff to integrate communications strategies into their campaigns, and support them in execution of campaign tactics.
- Development Department by ensuring that various publicity materials are impactful and resonate with ACLU-DE members and supporters, and that members and supporters feel cared for and connected to the organization.
- Legal Department by partnering with ACLU-DE attorneys to develop media strategy for litigation and legal advocacy that enhances and protects the goals of the organization, and by ensuring that legal issues are presented to members and supporters in compelling ways.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications.
- Ability to lead others, including managing different personalities, working styles, and preferences.
- Mentorship of colleagues, with the ability to delegate tasks to others to support their growth.
- An understanding of how to integrate communications tactics into integrated advocacy campaigns, and how to balance the needs of various departments with public relations.
- Strong communicator, including written communications and interpersonal relationship development with reporters and stakeholders.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well-organized.
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily; listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and Google Suite;
- Graphic design skills preferred, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Design Suite;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; ability to write relatable, understandable messages that inform and engage targeted audiences.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range is $60,000-$75,000. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement savings plan, and generous paid holidays.
Please upload a cover letter and resume through our online application portal. Applications will be reviewed beginning on Monday, October 24 and the position will remain open until filled. All interviews will be held remotely at this time.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Read why the ACLU-DE is a great place to work: https://www.aclu-de.org/en/about/why-work-aclu-de