The ACLU-DE works to protect and expand the civil liberties and civil rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Delaware Constitution.
Most ACLU-DE cases involve challenges to the government, rather than disputes with private organizations or individuals.
Our work is done by in-house legal counsel, highly respected volunteer attorneys who donate their time, talent and resources, and national ACLU attorneys with specialized expertise.
Our Legal Priorities
We focus on:
- Protecting personal freedoms, such as speech, religion, reproductive choice and personal privacy;
- Ensuring equality and fair treatment regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability;
- Police misconduct;
- The rights of students and young people.
- Is this a significant civil liberties or civil rights issue?
- What effect will this case have on people in addition to our client?
- What are the chances of winning?
- Do we have the necessary resources to take this case?