The ACLU of Delaware seeks a dynamic and experienced chief executive to lead and significantly expand a civil liberties agenda throughout Delaware.
The Executive Director will have primary responsibility for managing the organization’s day-to-day operations, leading the organization’s fundraising efforts, directing the work and development of a professional staff, and serving as the primary spokesperson for the organization. The Executive Director will ensure that the organization is fiscally sound and that its internal and external communications, fund development, and programs are meeting the current and emergent needs and interests of its constituents.
The Executive Director must maintain a working and current knowledge of civil liberties issues and policies and be a leader and manager adept at balancing internal management with external impact and visibility. The individual must be an outstanding communicator who is able to convey effectively the mission and activities of the ACLU to a variety of constituencies, as well as to the broader public.
The ACLU of Delaware has experienced significant growth in recent years and has had a number of exciting victories. The new Executive Director will continue our responsible growth and contributions in Delaware.
The Executive Director’s essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Leadership and Vision
- Establish a clear vision for the continued growth and expansion of the ACLU. Provide direction to guide programs that align with the organization’s vision;
- Lead the organization’s fund development efforts – utilize a staff-driven program model focusing on increasing the number and capacity of major donors;
- Serve as an effective and visible spokesperson for the ACLU of Delaware, effectively articulating the organization’s’ history, programs, and mission;
- Represent the organization in the media, increase public awareness, and broaden the organization’s reputation to strategic constituents;
- Initiate and strengthen relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders who are connected to the ACLU’s mission and purpose;
- Work in partnership with the board and staff to carry out policies approved by the board.
Management, Operations, and Program
- Ensure by effective management and leadership that the day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered;
- Direct legal, legislative, and communications programs;
- Oversee the organization’s financial operations, oversee the budgetary process, and ensure that sound financial controls are in place;
- Motivate and maintain a cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication and coordination; recruit new staff when appropriate and evaluate performance;
- Effectively use technology to facilitate organizational management, fundraising, public education, and lobbying.
- Implement policies, programs, goals and objectives as established by the board;
- Work with members of the board to identify and help recruit new board members who will add diversity to the board and whose talents, interests, and commitment will help to further the ACLU’s mission;
- Regularly brief the board on the status of the organization;
- Engage the board in meaningful participation to further the organization’s goals;
- Maintain an effective and collaborative relationship with the board.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications;
- Proven managerial, problem-solving, strategic planning, fund development, and financial management experience in the private, not-for-profit, or public sectors;
- Credibility and experience to connect the ACLU to resources and opportunities outside the organization; a successful track record of donor development and raising money from a variety of sources; major donor experience is preferred;
- Proven and successful track record in creating and implementing programs; experience creating partnerships and collaborations;
- A history of effective written and oral communication, including excellent public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations; ability to represent the ACLU to a broad public;
- A record of success working in partnership with a board and staff of diverse personalities and talents;
- A dedicated leader and representative who can translate vision into action; someone who is passionate about networking and representing the organization to critical constituencies including ACLU members, the public, government, and the media;
- Creative, strategic, resourceful, and politically astute; someone who understands the value of creating partnerships with other organizations as a way of accomplishing the ACLU’s goals;
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher;
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well-organized;
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily; listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others;
- Ideal candidate would have ten years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
ACLU of DE has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire.