Clean Slate Delaware Launches Mandatory Expungement Eligibility Guide and Announces Upcoming Workshops
WILMINGTON — Second Chances Month came to a close last week, but the work to expand access to second chances in Delaware continues to grow. Fresh off the heels of an incredibly successful Second Chances Expungement Workshop and Job Fair on April 28 – an event that saw record turnout – the Clean Slate Delaware campaign, in partnership with state stakeholders, is taking steps to address the overwhelming need for guidance when it comes to clearing a person’s record.
The Clean Slate Delaware campaign is partnering with community organizations to host several upcoming workshops that will continue to bring expungement guidance and resources to communities in each of Delaware’s three counties.
People who are living with a Delaware record are invited to join one of these workshops to learn more about record clearance eligibility criteria and how the expungement process works. These workshops are walk-in-friendly, with no advance registration required. Workshop attendees can also sign up to have their records screened for expungement eligibility. Clean Slate DE will follow up with the results of screenings after the event. Financial assistance for expungement related-fees will be available while funding lasts for individuals who are determined eligible for mandatory or discretionary expungements.
Upcoming workshops are listed below. More information on each of these workshops can be found at bit.ly/expungementeligibility.
- Thursday, May 12: Kent County Expungement Workshop, 6pm - 8pm, Mt. Zion AME Church, 101 N. Queen Street, Dover, Delaware, 19901;
- Thursday, May 26: Sussex County Expungement Workshop, 5:30 - 7:30pm, Everlasting Hope Ministries, 504 W. Market Street, Georgetown DE 19947;
- Thursday, June 2: Kent County Expungement Workshop, 6 - 8pm, Bethel AME Church, 205 NW 4th St, Milford, DE 19963;
- Saturday, June 11: Kent County Expungement Workshop, 11am - 1pm, Liberty Court Apartments, 1289 Walker Rd, Dover, DE 19904; and
- Wednesday, June 29: Sussex County Expungement Workshop, 5:30 - 7:30pm, The Church of the New Beginning, 31003 Country Gardens, Dagsboro, DE 19939.
In addition to the upcoming workshops, the Clean Slate Delaware campaign is increasing awareness on record clearance by offering an on-demand guide meant to help people figure out if their case is eligible for mandatory expungement. The guide is a one-stop-shop for information on mandatory expungement, which is the most common type of expungement that people seek. Users of this guide can expect to find some frequently asked questions and answers, links to all important resources and state forms that are required as part of the mandatory expungement process, a full list of convictions that are potentially eligible for mandatory expungement, and an eligibility flowchart for people who prefer more visual guidance. Learn more at bit.ly/expungementeligibility.
For more information on the Clean Slate Delaware campaign, upcoming workshops, or the mandatory expungement eligibility guide, please reach out to John Reynolds at email@example.com.
Partners on the Clean Slate Delaware campaign include ACLU of Delaware, Center for American Progress, Clean Slate Initiative, and Delaware Center for Justice.