What is the Delaware Coalition for Smart Justice?
The Coalition for Smart Justice is a statewide group of organizations and individuals who advocate for a criminal justice system that fosters public safety by reducing mass incarceration, recidivism and racial disparities. Through legislative reform, public education, community organizing and grass roots advocacy the Coalition challenges policy makers to create change that will have a significant positive impact on individuals, families and communities.
We have two main goals: cut the prison population in half and reduce racial disparities in Delaware’s criminal justice system.
Members include: ACLU of Delaware, Campaign for Smart Justice, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, Coalition to Dismantle the New Jim Crow, Community Legal Aid Society, Delaware Cannabis Advocacy Network, Delaware Center for Justice, Delaware Civil Rights Coalition, Delaware United, H.E.A.D.S. U.P. in the 302, League of Women Voters Delaware, Metropolitan Wilmington Urban League, NAACP Delaware State Conference, Network Delaware, Network Delaware's Campaign to End Debtor's Prisons, Pacem in Terris, Safe Communities Coalition, Southern Delaware Alliance for Racial Justice, Westminster Presbyterian Church Peace and Justice Work Group, Chris Johnson, Kerri Evelyn-Harris Criminal Justice Committee, Wilmington Hope Commission, Unitarian Universalist Delaware Advocacy Network, YWCA of Delaware
Coalition for Smart Justice 2020 Priorities
- Fines, Fees & Drivers’ License Suspensions - End the criminalization of poverty that has trapped many people in a punitive cycle by allowing the court to consider a person’s ability to pay court fines and fees, and stop the automatic suspension of drivers’ licenses where someone is unable to pay.
- Data Collection & Transparency - Collect and publish data to understand racial disparities, measure policy impacts and inform better policy choices.
- Sentencing Reform - Eliminate most mandatory minimums and expand opportunities for sentence modification and early release.
- Pretrial Reform - Reduce the number of people in prison before they’ve been convicted of a crime and ensure fairness through the pre-trial process from arrest to trial.
- Probation Reform - End the revolving door to prison by implementing post-release policies that promote success after incarceration.
- Treating Children as Children - House all children in juvenile facilities and increase the minimum age at which children can be prosecuted criminally.
To learn more about the Coalition for Smart Justice contact Haneef Salaam, Campaign for Smart Justice Manager, at email@example.com.